2D Game Development: From Zero To Hero
A downloadable book
Another game development book?
Yes, but today's game development scene is full of resources that teach you how to use a tool, and I found a severe lack of guides that would help aspiring game developers avoid common mistakes.
This book aims to fix both those issues: it won't teach you a specific tool and it will be chock-full of tips and tricks, explained thoroughly, that you can apply to your game.
This book aims to be as in-depth as possible, so you can create your own game either from scratch or using one of the many engines available.
Is it free?
Yes! And it always will be.
This book aims to be a free (as in price) teaching and reference resource for anyone who wants to learn 2D game development from scratch, including the nitty-gritty details.
This is an ongoing project, there still are lots of placeholders!
If you want to contribute, just check the "more details" section for the source code of this book or just open a topic! That would really make my day!
What are "Editions"?
This book has its own source code tailored specifically to be extensible, so that each person can choose their favourite programming language and feel right at home from the first word of the first line.
The editions currently available are:
- Pseudocode Edition With Syntax Highlight: A simple, language-agnostic approach to explaining algorithms.
- Python Edition: Ideal for who wants to start with a simple language
- C++ Edition: For the ones who prefer one of the most (if not the most used) language in game development.
Suggestions? Doubts? Errors?
Feel free to open a topic on this itch page! I'll try to respond as quickly as I can, I'll be more than happy to solve any doubts as well as listen to any suggestion you have!
Due to the lack of any real difference between the two "Pseudocode" editions, the one without syntax highlighting has been discontinued.
- Maintenance Release: Version 0.7.1 is out!38 days ago
- Version 0.7.0 is out now: 400 pages (and burnout)Jun 01, 2021
- Status of the Project @ 2021-05-23May 23, 2021
- Status of the project @2021-04-30Apr 30, 2021
- Oops, something went wrongApr 11, 2021
- Status of the project @ 2021-04-09Apr 09, 2021
- Version 0.6.6 is out now!Mar 21, 2021
- Status of the Project @ 2021-03-19Mar 19, 2021